Business & Sustainability
The State of Washington is a leader in responding to the societal imperative regarding environmental issues. This Bachelor of Arts degree in Business and Sustainability is an action component of the state's initiatives.
This degree combines three areas of study that give graduates the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to operate in a changing economic and social environment.
The Business & Sustainability Major is also offered at our Poulsbo Campus.
By meeting with your faculty advisor and creating a plan of study this will allow you to finish your degree in a more timely manner. For help with planning your courses, please see your faculty advisor.
Please note: CBE has implemented priority application deadlines for all majors and minors excluding MSCM and Economics. However applications are accepted anytime.
Graduates from this program will possess:
- A fundamental knowledge of economics, giving them the skills to apply economic analysis to problems in sustainable business faced by modern organizations.
- A fundamental knowledge of environmental science and policy, giving them the ability to understand the social and political climate as well as the scientific issues involved in sustainable business.
- An extensive knowledge of business and management in the context of business sustainability, giving them the basic skills needed to succeed in organizations.
We also offer a Business and Sustainability degree with an Energy Studies concentration.
Energy Studies Concentration
The transition to a more sustainable energy system is a key to reconciling our economic and environmental aspirations. Western graduates are finding growing opportunities in the emerging energy economy in Washington and beyond. Today’s diverse energy business demands knowledge of core business skills, understanding of energy policy and management, and broad exposure to the science, environmental, business and policy aspects of the energy system that drive energy-related businesses and their governing policies. The energy concentration in the Business and Sustainability major gives graduates a strong blend of analytic and communication skills, along with energy-related expertise that industry and government experts have identified as essential to workforce needs in the emerging energy economy.
How to Declare
Admission to programs in the College of Business and Economics (CBE) is selective and based upon prior academic performance and other evidence of high promise. For admission to CBE as a Business and Sustainability Major with pre-major or full major status, students must have completed the following requirements:
- Confirmed admission to Western Washington University
- Achieved a 2.5 cumulative college GPA (including transfer work)
- Achieved a Western cumulative GPA (if any courses have been completed at Western) of 2.50 or higher
- Completion of the foundation courses is not required to declare this major
- Complete the application form
Applying for Graduation
When you are ready to apply for graduation email the Department of Management Department Manager to request a Major Evaluation. Please include your Student W#.
There is no need to first consult your faculty advisor before requesting your Major Evaluation from the department, but can be helpful. The Department Manager, not your advisor, approves your Major Evaluation needed to graduate. Your faculty advisor is available if needed for help planning remaining coursework.
After the department reviews and completes your Major Evaluation in Degree Works they will notify you via email that you can now turn in your Degree Application to the Registrar's office, form link below. Please keep in mind during busy times it may take up to 10 working days for Major evaluations to be completed.
You then submit it, and the required Degree Application Form to the Registrar's office and they will bill your student account for the required application fee.