Mission & Values
We are a student-focused school of business and economics engaged in scholarly and professional activities that contribute to the well-being of society.
The College values engagement in its approach to education, research and service. We value active faculty engagement with students. Engagement with industry advisory committees helps inform curricula and other course decisions, keeping our content relevant and preparing graduates to participate and lead in their areas of study. Faculty engagement with other academics in their fields is also encouraged. We value staff guidance and engagement with students. We also encourage and promote students with organizations in the region, gaining practical experience and a broader perspective and purpose as we value the broader community to which we belong.
We believe in the values articulated by Western Washington University, especially those of a liberal arts educational foundation including student engagement with faculty and the community, the building of professional skills, an environment with diverse perspectives, and responsibility for stewardship of resources whether they be financial, human, or environmental.
We believe to accomplish our goals our faculty must be teacher-scholars, faculty with a strong disciplinary home and expertise who are also motivated to teach and innovate in their teaching. The College mainly serves traditional-age undergraduates from the state of Washington, primarily from the western part of the state. However, we welcome students from the region, nation, and world from all backgrounds.
We educate both students whose only higher education experiences have been at Western and those transferring from other institutions, especially community colleges. Our MBA program has four focus populations, each individually targeted by one of our MBA tracks, and with each we emphasize prior work experience. Our MPACC program focuses on educating accounting students.
The College seeks to recruit, select, hire, and develop teacher-scholars. We value scholarship that has a disciplinary focus to advance knowledge in the area and keep faculty actively engaged in current issues in the field as well as pedagogical research. We also have a supplementary expertise in and orientation toward research that informs public policy and practical application.
The College embraces innovative forms of student learning, research, and community engagement. Opportunities to advance student learning that lead to a process of continuous improvement are highly valued. Faculty are encouraged to experiment with new teaching formats designed to enhance student experiences. Curricula are regularly updated to better prepare students for current industry practices.
The College values the positive impact that our programs, research, and applied work have on the lives of our students and on the greater community. We believe that the College programs should go beyond technical expertise; we prepare our students to be critical thinking, ethical participants and leaders in their fields. Our faculty and staff are encouraged to make a difference in the broader community through service on advisory boards, volunteer work, and consulting.
CBE Core Values
- Creation & Acquisition of Knowledge
- Preservation & Dissemination of Knowledge
- Congenial & Supportive Academic Environment
- Application of Knowledge
- Search for truth
- Intellectual integrity
- Free exchange of ideas
- Lifelong learning
- Independent thought
The College supports and works toward Western Washington University’s five strategic goals within the context of business and economics education and the values of Engagement, Students, Research, Innovation, and Impact.
Western's Strategic Goals
- Build upon Western's strengths to address critical needs in the State of Washington.
- Expand student access to rigorous and engaging baccalaureate and graduate education.
- Foster and promote life-long learning and success in an ever-changing world.
- Apply Western's expertise and collaborative approach to scholarship, creativity, and research in ways that strengthen communities beyond the campus.
- Serve as a model for institutional effectiveness, innovation, diversity, and sustainability.
The College also works to support their mission and values through:
- Focusing on student learning, engagement, and professional engagement
- Professional engagements between students, professionals and teacher/scholars
- Scholarly engagement that keeps learning current
- Engaged innovation in teaching, research and service
- Engagement in the well-being of society
- Having an impact on our stakeholders through these practices as exemplified by the core values shown here