Provided below is an outline of the courses required for the program. Students must complete all the foundation courses and be accepted to the concentration in order to take concentration and advanced core courses. Students can take core courses while they are completing their foundation courses. For help with planning your courses, please see your advisor or the department office. A printable plan of study can be found on the Current Students page.
- Current Students Page: for course descriptions and prerequisites visit the Management Information Systems page in the course catalog.
- Management Information Systems Catalog Page
These courses make up 30 credits of the concentration. They provide an entry level insight on basic accounting, economics, and statistics.
Several of your foundation courses also count as General University Requirements (GURs). Look for classes in the course lists below that are labeled as "GUR." For more information on GUR requirements please visit the GUR Catalog Page.
Other Foundation Courses
- ACCT 240 - Financial Accounting
- ACCT 245 - Managerial Accounting
- ECON 206 - Introduction to Microeconomics - SSC GUR
- ECON 207 - Introduction to Macroeconomics - SSC GUR
MGMT 271 - Law and the Business Environment - SSC GUR
These courses take the previously learned knowledge and advance it towards more complicated financial and management knowledge. These classes make up 28 credits of the concentration.
Other Core Courses
Math and Statistics
DSCI 305 - Applied Business Statistics
FIN 341 - Principles of Finance
- MGMT 311 - Introduction to Management and Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 382 - Business and its Environment
MKTG 380 - Principles of Marketing
OPS 360 - Operations Management
Concentration courses are restricted. They are only available to students who have been accepted as full majors. These courses make up 28 credits of the concentration.
The MIS program of study includes courses in systems analysis and design, database management, application development, website management, and other information technology topics. A strong computer background and knowledge of a range of business disciplines is essential in this area.
Take one of the following courses:
- MGMT 313 - Teamwork Basics
- OPS 461 - Project management
Choose two courses from the list below. At least one must be 400 level.
- Any upper division MIS course
- DSCI 407 - Predictive Analytics for Business
- DSCI 497C: Programming Skills for Business Analytics
- ACCT 421 - Accounting Information Systems II
- OPS 461 - Project management
- If you choose MGMT 313 above
- Other upper-division courses (including computer science) may be possible under advisement.
Advanced Business Core (choose one option)
The advanced core consists of a capstone class in either Strategic Management (MGMT 495), or Small Business Entrepreneurship (MGMT 491) and Entrepreneurial Problems (MGMT 492). These courses make up 4 to 8 credits of the concentration.
- MGMT 491 - Small Business Entrepreneurship
- MGMT 492 - Entrepreneurial Problems
- MGMT 495 - Strategic Management