Provided below is an outline of the courses required for the program. Students must complete all the foundation courses and be accepted to the concentration in order to take concentration and advanced core courses. Students can take core courses while they are completing their foundation courses. For help with planning your courses, please see your advisor or the department office. A printable plan of study can be found on the Current Students page.
- Current Students Page: for course descriptions and prerequisites visit the Management Information Systems page in the course catalog.
- Management Information Systems Catalog Page
These courses make up 30 credits of the concentration. They provide an entry level insight on basic accounting, economics, and statistics.
Several of your foundation courses also count as General University Requirements (GURs). Look for classes in the course lists below that are labeled as "GUR." For more information on GUR requirements please visit the GUR Catalog Page.
Prerequisites for MIS Program
Math & Statistics
- MATH 157
- DSCI 205
Management Info Systems
Note: Students have the option of testing out of MIS 220. Visit the MIS 220 Test Out Page for more information.
Other MIS Program Courses
- ACCT 240
- ACCT 245
- ECON 206
- ECON 207
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 240)
- Managerial Accounting (ACCT 245)
- Introduction to Microeconomics (ECON 206) SSC GUR
- Introduction to Macroeconomics (ECON 207) SSC GUR
- Business Calculus (MATH 157) QSR GUR
- Business Statistics (DSCI 205) Waivable with AP credit
- Intro to Business Computer Systems (MIS 220) or test out
- Law and the Business Environment (MGMT 271) SSC GUR
These courses take the previously learned knowledge and advance it towards more complicated financial and management knowledge. These classes make up 28 credits of the concentration.
Prerequisites for Business Concentration
Management Info Systems
Other Courses Required for Business Concentration
Math and Statistics
- MGMT 311
- MGMT 382
- Applied Business Statistics (DSCI 305)
- Operations Management (OPS 360)
- Principles of Finance (FIN 341)
- Introduction to Management and Organizational Behavior (MGMT 311)
- Business and its Environment (MGMT 382)
- Principles of Marketing (MKTG 380)
- Principles of Management Information Systems (MIS 320)
Concentration courses are restricted. They are only available to students who have been accepted as full majors. These courses make up 28 credits of the concentration.
The MIS program of study includes courses in systems analysis and design, database management, application development, website management, and other information technology topics. A strong computer background and knowledge of a range of business disciplines is essential in this area.
Take one of the following courses:
- Teamwork Basics (MGMT 313)
- Project management (OPS 461)
- System Analysis and Design (MIS 321)
- Business Applications Development (MIS 322)
- Business Database Development (MIS 421)
- Corporate Information Systems Management (MIS 495)
Electives: Choose two courses from the list below. At least one must be 400 level.
- Any upper division MIS course
- DSCI 407
- OPS 461 (if you choose MGMT 313 above)
- ACCT 421
- Other upper-division courses (including computer science) may be possible under advisement.
Advanced Business Core (choose one option)
The advanced core consists of a capstone class in either Strategic Management (MGMT 495), OR Small Business Entrepreneurship (MGMT 491) and Entrepreneurial Problems (MGMT 492). These courses make up 4 to 8 credits of the concentration.
Note: Students may be able to take MGMT 491 and MGMT 492 instead of MGMT 495 with advisor approval.