To Apply to CBE*
Declare an Economics Major
Students must have a 2.50 cumulative college GPA (including transfer work) to declare a major in Economics.
Because not all CBE Foundation Courses are required for the Economics Degree with the exception of the Economics-Accounting major, the major statuses mentioned below do not apply to Economics Majors.
Declare an Accounting or Business Administration Major
Before applying to become a CBE pre-major**, you must fulfill several criteria including:
- Confirmed admission to WWU and at least 45 credits, or be in the CBE Distinguished Scholars program.
- Be in good academic standing with the University and meet one of the following GPA requirements with either: (1) a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the eight foundation courses below; or (2) a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 in all college-level course work including any transfer work.
- ** You do not need to have completed all Foundation Courses to be given pre-major status - you can apply at any time during your Foundation Course work.
*Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management students must complete 10 Foundation Courses (the eight CBE Foundation courses listed above plus CHEM 121 and PHYS 114) with a cumulative Foundation GPA of 3.00 or higher.
Transfer Student Information
- The Admissions Office maintains a list of Washington State community college and universities transfer equivalencies for foundation courses. Click here to view the list.
- If you would like other business courses reviewed by our transfer committee to determine equivalency, please complete the following e-sign form.
Be sure to attach a syllabus for each course you would like to have reviewed and an unofficial transcript.
- Once the courses are reviewed, you will be contacted via e-mail with decisions. If you are getting courses approved for a future quarter, remember to submit an unofficial transcript, reflecting your C- or better, once you finish the course.
You will need to complete a transfer equivalency if you've taken courses at other accredited institutions that you would like to use as part of your major. You do not need to complete an equivalency if the course is already approved (see above). Please note that this is different than the transfer evaluation that the Admissions Office performs when you enter the University.
Economics students must have a 2.50 cumulative college GPA (including transfer work) to declare a major in economics.
**Please note: students only need to apply ONCE to the College of Business and Economics. As students progress through each major status (pre-major, provisional major, and full-major), their application reflects these changes.
Select a Link Below to Declare Your Major:
Declaring a Minor:
Our Frequently Asked Questions page contains helpful information regarding admission and registration procedures.
Double Major/Concentration/Degree Procedure:
- Download the Double Curriculum advising sheet.
- Fill in the information at the top as well as the two majors/concentrations/degrees that you would like to pursue.
- Proceed to each of the departments to receive advising and signatures.
- Sign the form and drop it off at Parks Hall 419. If you are already a CBE major and are adding a second major, concentration or degree, do not fill out a new application. This form will suffice. If you haven't applied for admission, please follow all the steps above but submit the form with your application for admission.
Pre-major status is granted to students who meet the admission requirements but have not yet completed all of the foundation courses
(Students can be granted pre-major status if a portion of the Foundation Courses are completed), and have a 2.75 Accumulative Foundation Course
GPA or 2.5 Accumulative University GPA. Pre-majors are assigned a faculty advisor in their major, but may not yet register for courses that are restricted to majors.
- Provisional Major
Provisional major status is granted to students who are completing their last foundation course(s) and would be eligible for full major status upon
successful completion of their current course work. Students with provisional major status may register for courses that are restricted to majors only.
At the end of the quarter, each provisional major's record is reviewed to determine if the remaining foundation courses were successfully completed.
If they were successfully completed, the student becomes a full major. If not, the student's registration in the restricted classes is canceled.
- Full Major
Full major status is granted to students who are in good academic standing with the University and meet one of the following GPA requirements with either:
(1) a minimum GPA of 2.75 or higher in the eight foundation courses; or (2) a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 in all college-level course work including any transfer work.
Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management students must complete all 10 Foundation Courses (eight CBE Foundation Courses plus CHEM 121 and PHYS 114)
with an Accumulative Foundation Course GPA of 3.00 or higher to be given full major status.
- Information for College of Business & Economics Minors
Students can obtain a minor in most CBE areas of study - check the webpages for each Academic Department for more specific information.
To declare a Business Administration Minor, you must go to one of the following departments and complete a minor declaration card;
Management, Decision Sciences, or Finance/Marketing. For all other minor declarations, please go to the department in which the minor is offered.
Changing Your Major
If you are currently a pre-major or major in the College of Business and Economics (**Excluding Economics Majors**) and would like to change your major/concentration within the college, please submit a Major Change E-Sign Form.
If you are a WWU student who is undeclared or a declared major in another college or you are a transfer student from another university/college, please submit a College of Business & Economics Admission Application.
**Excluding Economics Majors**: If you would like to change your major, please contact the Economics Department in PH 315, Phone: (360) 650-3910, or Diane.Brearley@wwu.edu.
Advising in the College of Business & Economics
Pre-Major/Provisional Major Advising
For assistance and help regarding questions such as:
- What classes should I take next quarter?
- Which major is best for me?
- How do I fill out the CBE Major Application?
- Am I on track to finish my GURs?
- When should I declare my major?
- And more!
Contact: Teri Hall, CBE Pre-Major Advisor, at 360-650-4140 or Teri.Hall@wwu.edu
Full Major Advising
- 30 minute scheduled appointments -- Email Teri to Set Up
- 15 minute scheduled appointments -- Dates and Times TBD
Please contact your assigned faculty advisor or visit your departmental office:
- Accounting -- Parks Hall 451
- Decision Sciences -- Parks Hall 343
- Economics -- Parks Hall 315
- Finance/Marketing -- Parks Hall 415
- Management -- Parks Hall 351